What's Up with the Male Erection? - The Plateau Phase
In our last article we covered the “Excitement Phase” of the male erection process. Now let’s take a look at the second phase in the male sexual response, the “Plateau Phase.”
The second phase in the male erection, is the “Plateau Phase.” During the plateau phase your sexual organs are setting up for an orgasm, so let’s take a look at what’s going on.
The Plateau Phase
Swelling and Contractions
During the Plateau Phase the tip of the penis as well as the testicles begin to increase in size as well as perform rhythmic contractions. Ever notice a twitching movement your penis becomes erect? That’s the Plateau Phase in action. The Urethral sphincter also contracts during this period to prevent urine from mixing with the semen.
Cowper’s Gland Secretions
You put the condom on the wrong head William...
More commonly known as “pre-cum” the Cowper’s Gland, named after anatomist William Cowper, is responsible for the penis secreting seminal fluid prior to ejaculation. The amount of seminal fluid that the penis secreates before ejacualtion varies from person to person as well as arousal level.
Don’t let the name scare ya. The hyperventilation that occurs during sex is more of that sexy heavy panting/breathing than, “OMG I CAN’T BREATH.”
Full Testicular Elevation
This occurs near the end of the Plateau Phase right before orgasm as the testicles elevate preparing to launch, for a lack of a better word. Don’t forget, gentle scrotal pulling can prolong the elevation of the testicles and make you last longer in between the sheets.
That covers the Plateau Phase of the male erection. However, it is important to note that the Plateau Phase is also the more pleasurable stage, so make it last! Make sure to check back to Condom Depot TV later this week as we analyze more phases of the male erection. Want more sex education? Check out June’s #AdultSexEdMonth on Twitter.
Don’t forget to check out the previous articles as well: “Excitement Phase”, “Orgasm Phase”, “Resolution Phase”
- Top 10 Alternative Uses for Lube
- Using Bathroom Items For Masturbation: Good Ideas, Bad Ideas
- 10 Telltale Signs of Sexual Frustration
- Is It Time for a Pregnancy Test?
- Book Review: Not Your Mother's Meatloaf
- Q: Am I allergic to condoms/lube?
- Regular Condom Use Prevents Genital Warts
- Staying Hard While Wearing a Condom
- Romantic Ways To Ask Your Partner To Use a Condom
- Alleviating The Fear Of Getting Tested for STDs
- Condom Size vs. Penis Size
- The Secret to Female Ejaculation or 'Squirting'
- So You Found Condoms in Your Teen's Room...
- What's The Word On Male Contraception?
- Q: What and where is the G-Spot?
Ask A Condom Expert
Still need help? Let one of our condom and safer sex experts help you out! We have been the "friend in the business" for nearly 20 years to hundreds of thousands of customers.